These are the official 4on4 Roswell rules that we follow for our 4on4 tournaments, based on the 4on4 Roswell Hike it and Spike it big money tournament played annually in New Mexico.
Start of the Game
1. A coin flip will give the winner the option to start with possession OR select defense and direction. Possession and direction will be opposite to start the second half.
2. Game Time is Forfeit Time-NO GRACE PERIOD.
3. Offense begins on its own ten (10) yard line.
4. Must have two (2) players to start a game.
5. Participants must be registered before being allowed to play. Must have a player wristband on.
Timing of the Game/Time Outs
1. Winner and Loser’s bracket games will consist of two 12-minute halves (running clock). The clock will stop for time outs, injuries, and a 3 minute halftime.
2. Down and Out Bowl games will consist of a 15-minute running clock.
3. Regular division teams will be allowed 1 time out per game. Show Me The $$ and 30 and Over teams will be allowed 1 time out per half.
4. Teams will be allowed 10 seconds to run a play after the official signals that the ball is ready for play.
5. Mercy Rule – when a team leads by 25 or more points they will be declared the winner.
1. Blocking will not be permitted at any time. This is a non-contact game.
2. Bump and Run defense is not allowed.
1. A legal tackle takes place by a defender removing the ball carrier’s flag(s) without physically grasping him/her. If a flag is missing from the ball carrier, then he/she will be called down when touched by defender.
2. Flag guarding is the act of the ball carrier using his/her hand(s) or arm(s) to prevent the potential “tackler” from pulling his/her flag. The ball carrier will be marked down at the point of the infraction.
3. The Breakaway Rule – if in the official’s judgment the ball carrier is physically pushed or tackled, by a defender, to prevent an obvious score, the result will be a score for the offense and an unsportsmanlike penalty on the offender. It may also warrant the offender’s ejection from the game and/or tournament.
Change of Possession/Fumbles
1. All drives and change of possession start at the ten (10) yard line. The only exception is when an interception takes place, the ball will be spotted for play at the point in which the “interceptor” is tackled.
2. All fumbles are considered dead balls at the point in which the ball hits the ground and possession is maintained by the offensive team. This includes center to quarterback exchange.
3. If the ball hits the ground during the Center/QB exchange the ball will be marked down at the spot the ball hit the ground.
1. Offside, illegal procedure, too many men, delay of game, diving, etc. are all five (5) yard penalties. With two (2) minutes or less remaining in the half/game, a delay of game penalty will result in a loss of down in addition to the five (5) yards.
2. Pass interference, unsportsmanlike conduct (taunting), and blocking are ten (10) yard penalties. An automatic first down will be given if on the defensive team and loss of down if on the offensive team.
3. Excessive roughness, excessive taunting, fighting, and verbal abuse are considered flagrant penalties and may result in your dismissal from the game and/or tournament. Any player ejected from the event will be asked to immediately leave the site. If the player(s) do not cooperate fully, their team(s) may be ejected. Ejection from the event will mean an automatic suspension from future events. No refunds will be given.
**All players are eligible receivers.**
Miscellaneous Game Regulations
1. No running plays allowed.
2. No diving by the ball carrier is allowed. 5 yeard penalty from spot dive was initiated.
3. The quarterback will not be allowed to run past the line of scrimmage (play will be blown dead).
4. The defender(s) rushing the quarterback must be at least five (5) yards off the line of scrimmage.
5. The center must snap the ball between the legs. Exception: 10 and under teams will be allowed to snap from the side.
6. All players are eligible receivers.
7. Clothing must be tucked underneath your flags.
8. One foot in bounds and possession of the ball constitutes a catch.
9. The offensive team will be responsible for returning the ball to the line of scrimmage after every play (in a timely fashion).
10. Only one player may go in motion but NOT toward the line of scrimmage (no shifts).
11. Substitutions will be allowed between plays. Players must make substitutions from one side of the field, which will be designated by the official.
12. Teams are responsible for their fans.
13. HIV/AIDS-No visible cuts or blood on clothing or persons. Prepare accordingly.
14. No alcohol allowed on site, furthermore any person/team suspected to be under the influence and attempting to play will be automatically ejected.
15. The captain is the spokesperson for their team, not a spectator or coach.
16. Cleats are allowed but cannot be metal.
17. No stripping of the football is allowed you must go for the flags. Penalty is five (5) yards from the point of infraction and automatic first down.
18. No spinning allowed. The play will be blown dead and ball marked at the point that the player initiated the spin (Only the Quarterback is allowed to spin to avoid the rush or change direction).
19. All forward passes must be completed beyond the line of scrimmage.
20. Hitting the Quarterback’s arm in the throwing motion is a ten (10) yard penalty and automatic first down.